The late hours

Today I began my last week of work at the very first job I’ve ever had. I’ve done more late hours in the last few weeks than ever before trying to tie up all the loose ends before I leave..  As always, late hours at the office call for me to play Frank Sinatra on the Ipod. I don’t understand why, maybe too many Woody Allen type movies or something, I particularly enjoy listening to Sinatra in such a scenario. 

Big empty floor, few lights on. Only noise comes from the few IT night owls who furiously type away at the corner. Complete silence otherwise. All I’m missing is some place to go after the late hours. It’s a pity this town closes so early. Think this – you spend late hours at the office, finishing up some fairly insane report. You finally finish a few minutes before midnight. Time to celebrate, it’s late, your eyes burn, yet you call a cab, head out to a nice little place that plays jazz music. Just a few people around. As the time just creeps past one in the morning, you’re slowly finishing that  second Bourbon that you’ve been cradling for the last hour….just then a gorgeous girl walks in…. okay! I’m stopping here! Rest is up to my vivid imagination. (And yours too.) Knowing me, I’d probably just walk out. After which I’d use a wall to bang my head. (All the people in the house…..Please hold up an ‘L’ sign to your forehead) 

Coming back to the point, I just had a look around this big empty floor and thought to myself, “ Damn! I’m actually going to miss working. That little smile at the end of the month when you get your paycheck…gone! The fact that you always have the weekend to look forward to, so as to cram all your friends, hobbies and sleep in two days. Wow! All this gone for a whole year! And after that, it’s a whole new ball game.” But I guess all this is for the greater good. Am looking forward to finishing the academic pursuit and working in a new office. Looking forward to receiving that even more handsome paycheck. Maybe this time, after the late hours, I’ll actually have somewhere to go and I just might buy that pretty girl a drink….. Hey! No laughing! It could happen !!!!

Comments

Ani..... said…
I told u so!! U'll miss this place a lot in the coming months..but then I think there's something better in store for u.. Good Luck! :)