The View from the Back Seat

I was chatting online with a friend the other day. We were talking about the various committees here at college. A little bit of background before I continue. The college is a student-driven college in terms of operations. This means that every student during their time here will have to pitch in some way or the other, no matter how large or insignificant the contribution. Hence, every student is forced to be part of some committee or the other. So we have the student council, branding committee, placement committee, food committee ( No...for those of you who are thinking it…this committee does not get access to unlimited food or to taste it…..even if they did, it’s hostel food! I doubt there would be any romance in that relationship!).

Now friend’s who know me, would expect me to be part of that committee which is perpetually working and is getting the most visibility. We’re all glory-hunters at the end of the day; it’s just what glory we look for that defines our actions. (Whoa….spiritual brain wash!) Coming back to the point, I would normally join a committee like the student council or placement committee…the team with the greatest responsibility and the team doing most of the work. Well, personal statistics have shown, right from class 7, I’ve generally associated myself with such teams; the guys who do all the dirty work while the rest of the junta reap the benefits.

But I guess this time around, for once I would love to be the guy who sits back and watches the world go by. For once, chill and not roam around campus with a perpetual ‘man on a mission’ look which I seem to have perfected. Obviously, the friend thinks I’m ill or something. A leopard doesn’t change its spots….but the leopard can sure sit in the shade of a tree every now and then. Don’t be mistaken to think that I’m not doing anything….I have signed up to organize the B-school fest! And that is a major event here. And all eyes of the world and every other B-school would be focused on the success of this fest.

One might concur that the fest is a grand event and is by no means something to be taken to lightly. However, the fest is a seasonal thing. Once it’s done, it’s done. Unlike many of the other committees, it is not working round the clock. But oh well! C’est La Vie!!! I must say, sitting on this side of the line is quite boring; I’m just not used to the view. There is a slight twinge of jealousy every time I see the teams huddling together, discussing strategy and what not. Until yesterday, I used to be there. But I guess, this time, I need to kick back, for maybe the last time in my life …attempt to study and get a decent grade ( Something that still eludes me….) and reap the benefits of the hard work put in by others. I guess this MBA course is doing funny things to my mind and my attitude… some parts I like, some I really don’t. Responding to my friend - Dude…sometimes you’ve got to stop and smell the roses! Once in a while it’s nice to get out of the driver’s seat…get in the back seat and be one of those annoying children perpetually screaming , “Are we there yet ?...Are we there yet?...Are we there yet?....Are we there yet?

Comments