All that remains…

Breaking the myth of some of our beloved street foods and street food chains, our Logistics and Supply Chain Management professor has successfully made many of us think twice about even the so called ‘healthy food’ we eat outside. Now, I am not framing anyone here but am merely passing on information I have received. So please, do not serve me in court. I will give you the number of my Prof, you can sue him…. I am a mere student.

While learning SCM ( supply Chain Management) we discussed how McDonald’s is apparently one of the most hygienic…and healthy brands of food in India. The prof took the example of a certain Vada Pav chain in Mumbai. The chain while famous was once raided and was found to be mixing old spoilt potatoes with the new ones, to cut cost. As thought this was not bad enough, the potatoes were being peeled and washed by the resident beggars of the nearby local train station for a paltry sum. Needless to say, business did not do too well after the expose. Apparently, even the oil used is the one 5 star hotels dispose off, after frying stuff more than the oil can allow. So here we have the cholesterol laden, artery chocking oil. Alright! I can live with that. I can stick to a simple meal of idli vada and chutney….oh wait! NO! I can’t! That’s contaminated too. The oil for the vada is from the same source for the Mumbai ( can’t say Bombay….ushoooooo). And the coconut for the chutney also comes from mixing bits of the old coconut with tons of additives to give it the taste. So, there goes my idli vada.

At the end of the class, what remains is that the healthiest food in India is the unemotional burger from McDonalds. The life less burger that is one of many mere entities in the supply chain. The burger filled with cheese and enough lettuce to give you gas. The ordinary burger with not an ounce of uniqueness in it, all that fatty cheese on the sides…….YIKES! MUMMMY….Food CRAVING!!! Got to go and eat my carrots……

Comments