So that’s what it feels like.

Today I went through what a goal keeper goes through when you somehow manage to pull off saves and bring the game all the way to the end, and that one goal screams past you, the emotions and the trauma – totally sucks. The worst part is that it wasn’t even an impressive goal. The player took a chance and fired…and it just pops in. Totally sucks. We had the finals of the football tournament at college. My section was touted to win…especially since we pretty much won everything else. Thanks to the wobbly knees, I have been goalkeeper throughout the tournament.

I made some really good saves all the way through. An especially good one when the striker of the other team made a one on one challenge and I stopped the ball. Reminded me of the good old days when I was goalkeeper. Quite a few decent saves….all that for nothing, because one went through. After a game like this, one won’t remember the saves…but unfortunately remember that one tricky little fellow who got through. Why is it…that when we win, we quickly forget, but losses seem to occupy the rooms of our head longer than necessary?

I’ve been totally bummed out. All the saves for nothing. And that’s the third time I’ve come to the finals and am returning with the silver. At times like these, I remember a quote from a movie:

You'll come to see that a man learns nothing from winning. The act of losing, however, can elicit great wisdom. Not least of which is, uh... how much more enjoyable it is to win. It's inevitable to lose now and again. The trick is not to make a habit of it.”

But then, there’s another quote in the same movie:

Winning is not everything…it’s the only thing!!!”

So what do I listen to? I like the sound of the second one. I also handled the loss quite maturely…stormed into my room, switched off the lights, turned on some heavy metal and screamed. Now not only do I have a loss on my hands, I have a sore throat and a headache from all that screaming. Nikhilesh scores one for maturity.

Comments

Aniruddha said…
Agreed that Winning is the only thing, but its the ultimate thing only after u tasted defeat! Wait for the big one dude, it will come.

And yes even I wonder Y we forget the golds and keep remembering the silver!