Year end review… interesting time!

Well, 12 months seem to have just zipped by this time. I guess its because I have been so busy with life…or life has kept me busy that I really don’t know where time went. I remember just a year ago, I was rushing on a public bus to good old TGIF after a friend got plans mixed up, and here I am 365 days later…still as confused about life as ever. If there is one thing I can remember about this year - it would be the fact that I finally went in to do an MBA degree. This is after 2 years of madness with CAT preparations and what not. I finally came good on my investments. The experience of being rejected from every decent college you applied to based on a 1.0 difference in one subject had me at ends wits. That was probably what helplessness feels like. I think the whole experience has turned me fairly religious….don’t mistake this for me to be donning the orange garb and giving up worldly desires. It just means that I seem to have found someone to talk to in dark times.

Finally, the Great Lakes Institute of Management comes around. And to be honest, I am having a great time. The last 9 months have found me understanding a lot more of myself….my strengths…weaknesses,etc. I also find myself with a whole new bunch of friends who are awesome in their own rights. The interesting characters are cool too. It’s only here that you learn to mingle with people from all sorts of backgrounds, and it is over the last 9 months you slowly realize how awesome a person you can be and how terrible a person you can be.

The year 2009 has been fairly kind with no major tortures, barring the admission process which gave me a fair amount of gray hair. The whole process was too overwhelming, brought me to tears and nearly made me want to give up the whole process. But as pointed out by Dad, this was nothing compared to what is expected to come. At some point, I feel it is all in vain, and really don’t want to go through any of this again. But then again, what’s life without a little excitement.

This year saw the entire gang run-off abroad to pursue a future course in life. A huge chunk ran away to Australia and one got a nice gig for a few years in the US. Good part is, he’s in close proximity to another of us. Home will be very different now. This is one part I am kind of scared of.For Starters.....I do not have company for TGIF and Purple Haze…..what am I to do on weekends now? The friends who remain are moving on in life. People getting busy with wedding bells, engagements, being couples, families….so where do I fit into all this? I really don’t know. And it is frightening me. While all of us are in touch, it still isn't the same...

This was the first year I started feeling that I was getting older, in terms of thought process, and health wise. Things like diet, sleep (or lack of it) tend to show battle scars and take their toll. I am not too happy about that. I like being 18 and irresponsible. I like having life revolve around having enough money to buy stuff, play PC Games, watch football and believe that Rock n Roll will save the world. I don’t think I appreciate all this responsibility towards myself, things like taxes, promotions, emotional satisfaction….and it all seems to be happening too fast for my mind to comply.

Overall, 2009, was a year driven by a fair amount of introspection and self-evaluation. I guess this was the calm before the storm of 2010 when I pass out and get a ‘responsible’ job and look to build the future. God save and God bless!

Theme song for 2009 would have to be John Mayer’s “ Stop this Train” (Youtube link)

Lyrics:
No I'm not color blind
I know the world is black and white
Try to keep an open mind but...
I just can't sleep on this tonight
Stop this train I want to get off and go home again
I can't take the speed it's moving in
I know I can't
But honestly won't someone stop this train

Don't know how else to say it, don't want to see my parents go
One generation's length away
From fighting life out on my own

Stop this train
I want to get off and go home again
I can't take the speed it's moving in
I know I can't but honestly won't someone stop this train

So scared of getting older
I'm only good at being young
So I play the numbers game to find away to say that life has just begun
Had a talk with my old man
Said help me understand
He said turn 68, you'll renegotiate
Don't stop this train
Don't for a minute change the place you're in
Don't think I couldn't ever understand
I tried my hand
John, honestly we'll never stop this train

See once in a while when it's good
It'll feel like it should
And they're all still around
And you're still safe and sound
And you don't miss a thing
'til you cry when you're driving away in the dark.

Singing stop this train I want to get off and go home again
I can't take this speed it's moving in
I know I can't
Cause now I see I'll never stop this train

Comments