The Party’s over…and the hunt is on.

I’ve been unable to write anything the last few weeks owing to the big college fest of L’Attitude, which thanks to the organizers (me being a part of them) went off really well. We managed to get very good responses from visitors and people from other schools. The biggest part of the fest was the second performance of the band. Rain and an impending cyclone threatened to cancel the cultural show, and I was all ready to send the truck back owing to the financial aspect of matters. Anyway, to cut a long story short, the equipment was set up, not on stage, but in the corridors of the main building. This created a sort of ‘concept concert’ kind of thing, almost on the lines of U2. While we did not have a major turn out, the 50 odd who did come had a great time, or so I presume. I was in full form and was behaving more high than any of my band members. I was jumping up to a height of nearly two feet with a guitar, and head banging and what not. Twas a good show. Post-show hangover, 92 kilos falling on my poor ankles have them swollen and hurting. Scars of war I guess.

I also got to meet a good number of CEOs and leaders which made it quite interesting. I got to meet Salman Khurshid, A Vellayan , Ajit Balakrishna , Srivatsa Krishna, Raghavendra Rao and the ever charismatic TN Sehsan. When we welcomed Seshan at the fest, I asked him,’ Sir, How do you do?’. His reply – I survive! I was left with nothing more to say and Seshan obviously wanted it that way. It was a fun session seeing Seshan rip apart people with his natural wit. Overall, it was a great fest. No conquests in the damsel department, but then, that has never happened. I see no reason for it to start now.

Anyway, the fest is over and the time for placements is upon us. Quite clearly, the slowdown isn’t over and tempers seem to be on edge. Friends have become …well…not enemies…but then, everyone looks at everyone with an air of suspicion. Any student with high grades, many years of work experience is generally scoffed upon by those that have neither. Companies are being very picky. Low grade students (yours truly) are left with not much to take from. Apparently, no one saw ‘3 Idiots’. Grades never matter. I am confident, to a point of arrogance that I can and will kick butt at the work place. First list of candidates shortlisted for a consulting firm came out recently and ever since, well…things have not been the same. Many seem to smile through their teeth and the good wishes have an air of fakeness to them. The first company is paying a nearly scandalous salary of 23 Lakhs per annum. Needless to say, whoever gets through is paying back their education loans by the end of this year. A friend of mine who got shortlisted was being all self-righteous (as she normally is) and was wondering why people were acting funny and passing snide remarks. Well Du-uh…if I had applied and not got shortlisted, I may have too.

This brings me to another point – the kind of companies coming to campus. Apparently, besides IT, no one seems to be recruiting…or so I am made to think. Every company coming through is IT oriented. And if there is one thing I am very clear about, it is that I have no intentions of going back to anything remotely IT…unless it’s Microsoft or Sony Gaming Division. (Geek). So here I am sucking my thumb because there really isn’t one decent organization or role that I want coming my way. I am filled with fear and anxiety. But what else can I do. God is receiving a lot of messages from me lately. It’s IT everywhere….software this…hardware that…underwear this…sheesh! Quite infuriating it is. And being someone who did marketing communications, I still remain clueless as to the nuances of software and anything related to it. I would be throwing away 30 potentially good years of work if I went back to IT. So far, I have arrogantly (or stupidly) managed to stick to my guns and not apply for any IT firm…no matter how big. Let’s see whether I cave. The war has begun.


Comments

Kavita said…
Go guitar hero, and good luck on the 'war front' too.