Band Baaja Baaraat…indications that all is not well.

I totally loved this movie, so energetic. All that dancing and all that Anushka Sharma! Three cheers for babe from ‘Namma Bengaluru’. For those of you have not seen the movie, you must. So much energy, so much dancing and so much Anushka Sharma….three cheers for….wait….sorry….deja vu. Brief storyline – the lead actors decide to open a wedding planning agency and do a better job than the current ‘wedding planner’ who had more experience and had forgotten about the passion of work which had resulted in packaging and commoditization of her services tailor made to the up-markets. The duo then decided to read CK Prahalad’s ‘Bottom of the Pyramid’ paper and target people looking to get married in the small and mid market regions. Their ability to adjust based to dynamic situations as a tier two vendor proved to be their USP. Eventually this innocent start-up grew many fold in a quick time, like Infosys, then creative and other differences (they did ‘it’…ushoooo) led them to go separate ways, like Reliance. The rest of the story is your standard rom-com with much energy, much dancing and Anushka Sharma.

Notice how I took this otherwise ordinary romance and made it a case study in ‘How entrepreneurs should learn to keep creative differences aside while growing quickly’. And this is exactly what one MBA prof somewhere is going to do. Show this movie to a class, who’d be more than happy to get some time-off from listening to the prof, only to be stunned later on by the words’ Assignment to be submitted tomorrow’. Many a movie has been ruined by many a professor in this fashion. Back in college, I remember how we were made to see ‘Gandhi’, ‘Miracle’,’ The Negotiator’ and ‘Ek Ruka Hua Faisla’ following which we were expected to have an opinion on stuff which was apparently taught in the previous class. I don’t know how you were expecting me to pay attention. And you pull this dirty trick of making movies into assignments. How? Why? To top it all, we had a lot of DCP (Definitive Class Participation) from certain folks who came up with absolutely mindless responses to questions thrown their way because they were checking out the pretty girl two rows ahead. (Aha….dirty college secret out….yeah right! Like you did not know that happens!)

“So what do you think of the last scene? How would you relate it to the Stanford Prison Experiment?”

(Waking up out of a daze)” Yes sir! I believe Gandhi was right to go on a hunger strike because Samuel Jackson had taken the entire American Ice Hockey Team hostage. This situation is a classic example of a "black swan robust" society, meaning a society that can withstand difficult-to-predict events. And it all ties back to Stanford because the same person discovered it? No?!?!?! I guess Pankaj Kapur had something to do that was essential to the plot. He owns the land on which the prison is built? No???!?!?!?! ”

This is bound to happen. Anyway, God save MBA grades. Coming to a more serious issue here, I think I’ve picked up some sort of odd virus from all these weddings I’ve been going to. I now like Hindi movie songs….especially the dance variety. And like movies with elaborate song dance sequences. At the moment I can’t get the ‘Aivayi Aivayi’ song from BBB out of my head. And this seems to be getting worse. Turns out I’m seeing way too many hindi movies…am able to indentify a lot of songs on the radio, a phenomenon which my fellow Rock-heads find difficult to digest. And to make the illness worse, I now even like dancing to the songs….not in a Madhuri Dixit sort of way…more like a ‘Kaloo Mama meets apdi podu podu’ sort of way. But I am grooving none the less. What did you give me you darnn weddings? What? I want to wear black t shirts and headbang again…. I should have known I was ill and gone in for therapy the day I bought a 3500 buck kurta to wear at my friend’s wedding (as opposed to the 1000 bucks one I own from fabindia….can be seen wearing the same at all weddings). What’s next? Please help. I am unable to shake off this evil that has infested this body. One day it’s going to come bursting out of my chest, like in the movie Alien and then I’d be choosing Sonu Nigam (even after his awesome rendition of an English song at the World Cup opening ceremony) over James Hetfield.

SOS STOP HAVE BEEN ABDUCTED BY ALIENS STOP ALIENS INJECTED BOLLYWOOD SONG DANCE APPRECIATION HORMONES INTO ME STOP I LIKED INJECTION PROCESS STOP REMINDS ME OF STRIP SEARCH AT JFK STOP MICHAEL BOLTON’S ‘CAN I TOUCH YOU THERE’ WAS PLAYING STOP SEND MEDICINE STOP SOS

Comments

True....can't help it man!