Finally… a boy’s room!



The world has just been keeping me so busy since the New Year! And not necessarily in a good way, but it sure beats sitting around doing nothing but playing the PS3. (Erm….don’t tell the PS3 I said that, she may get angry). Anyway, we finished repainting the house late last year. It had been almost 7 years since we last painted the house and it was about time. I received many congratulations from our house maid and the watchman who assumed I had gotten engaged and the entire house painting was owing to that. It turns out, many of the neighbours thought I was getting engaged too.

The interior designer in me showed up and decided the shades of colour we were to use, no normal vanilla boring white walls. We also decided that it was high time my room looked more like “my” room and less like a guest room. I’ve never really had a room that was mine for as long as I can remember. When we moved in, my grandparents came to live with us. So we put in three beds, one single and one in which you could pull out another from underneath. My room has been that way since. You won’t find much to indicate that a boy lived there. When we moved to Africa for a while, we lived in company provided accommodation, so clearly no posters on the walls and the room did not reflect the changing age of yours truly. When we got back from Africa, my grandma lived with us, so pretty much same story. Even the guitars bought were kept on top of the cupboards to ensure living space was at maximum capacity.

However, ever since my grandma moved to Mumbai where she got “her own” room at my aunt’s place, I’ve been craving for a room that reflects me. You know, music system, posters on the wall, guitars strewn around….that kind of thing. I am proud to announce that yours truly now has a room that is almost like what he wanted. 3 gorgeous posters of Metallica, Manchester United and Batman adorn my wall. My guitars are now kept on individuals stands where I can plug them in any time and play. A small table to myself, with my own laptop and decent speakers belting out music at any time. And the best part is, we got rid of the single bed freeing up so much room. I’ve put some pictures of the posters and the room at the end. I also have this giant bean bag.
 
While it is clearly 10 years too late, I guess better late than never. I now finally have a room I can call my own. The only thing that can make this room way more awesome would be to have my own flat screen TV with the PS3 moved in. But I am willing to compromise. It is sort of sad that I will have this room like this only for another two years at best. The parental unit is slowly trying to cozy me up to the concept of marriage. I know I’m safe for a year at least. But until then, I have my own room! Yaaaay!







Comments

Thunder Emperor said…
Congratulations .... on your new room :)
Aparna said…
ay romba awesome news this! You should have a house/room-warming like party, if you ask me!
@thunder - Danke!

@Aparna - Ok, I won't ask. Just spent a bomb on the posters and framing and what not. BTW someone still owes me a treat.
Kavita said…
Never too late, kid, never too late!:-)
Thunder Emperor said…
I agree to Aparna's point ... If not a full blown party, a treat is definitely in order ... And you know, that's what Credit Cards are for ... :)
Aparna said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.