The mandatory end-of-2013 post

I had this all typed out in my head last night, but my hands were busy taking rather large helpings at a New Year’s day buffet, so I missed actually getting this up. So much for the ‘Will write more’ resolution. Anyway, let’s get to the point. I rather enjoyed 2013 for a few reasons. The biggest reason being was the ticking off of one line on my wish-list which was to “See a musical at Broadway”. I’ve told you all enough about the New York trip where besides doing my first major product launch, I got to actually go to New York (Breaks out into a Sinatra rendition of the song). I was in tears when ‘The Lion King’ started and I still get goose bumps thinking about being there.

2013 was a good year for discovering a lot of music. While I did absolutely no shows as the band more or less called it off in March, I did attend a lot of gigs by a lot of other bands. I even went all the way to Pune for the NH7 Weekender festival where I had a total blast. I think I just might make this an annual thing. I’m hoping to attend a lot more gigs this year and do a few more out-of-bangalore music festivals as well. I’m also working on getting some original tunes out and trying to do a few gigs of my own. If there is one thing I would want differently from last year is a bunch of people who are like minded when it comes to music gigs and would come along almost unconditionally. I grow a frustrated of asking people in the peer circle only to be given some excuse of why they can’t make it. 

2013 was also a great year in terms of learning. I feel I’ve grown quite well in terms of a being a guitar player and in my appreciation for music. I find myself slowly moving away from mainstream music to artists like Guthrie Govan, Paco De Lucia, Jaco Pastorius and others that the general populations don’t listen to. I also found a new hobby in ‘Concert Photography’ where I’m hoping to get better. I also renewed my love for drawing and began drawing doodles a fair bit (Mostly when my brain dies at an office meeting). I’m hoping to practice more and get really good at all these 3 areas.

On the flip side, the year wasn’t particularly great on the health front. An acute case of sciatica coupled with regular bouts of viral fever has me rethinking my lifestyle when it comes to my physical self. Like a sportsperson looking to prolong his career, I’m trying hard to eat a little healthier and do a little more physical exercise so as to prevent complete breakdown. I also discovered that my temper and tolerance are not improving. So I’m going to try really hard to control both, especially the sarcasm and general disgust at people with pedestrian taste in music and film (referring to those who are shocked that as a Tamilian I did not see ‘Chennai Express’ and do not dance whenever I hear the song ‘Lungi Dance’ playing in the background. PS: Lungi Dance is neither a dance nor a song… it’s a bloody travesty of…. Wait…breathe….3….2….1…. inner peace)

And now to our favourite topic, 2013 was yet another year where I was single. It’s become uncanny how every woman I have even a flutter of emotion for will turn out to have a boyfriend, a fiancé or a husband. I’ve becoming more distrusting of the female sex when it comes to these matters. It’s become a sort of pattern where I see a girl I like, and I’m busier trying to gauge whether she’s in a relationship rather than getting to know her. Because honestly, I don’t want to know what your favourite colour is…. And then listen to how your boyfriend brought you a sweater of that colour for your birthday. Anyway, here’s hoping to find someone more compatible in 2014.

Speaking of that, I do understanding I’m a lot closer to the parental unit getting into the “let’s find a girl who’s willing to marry this child of ours” mode. Trying to be mature about the matter, I’ve taken an active interest to improve myself and make me more tolerable to the wife-to-be. Things like ‘not grumbling when you have to go to someone’s house and there’s a ManUtd game on’, ‘driving relatives all around town on a weekend’, ‘being more accepting of things I’m not fond off but is important to the other person’, ‘helping around the kitchen’…. And so on. I honestly don’t know what type of a husband I’ll make but all the above go towards making me a more bearable human being.

Let’s see what’s in store for 2014. I’m hoping for much better health, more creation and discovering of music, more trips – foreign and local and the possible discovery of a woman who’ll tolerate me as a significant other. My best wishes to all my readers and hope you guys have a good year ahead too.

PS: I sent in one of my doodles to ‘One Big Doodle’ and they published it. 2 days into the new year, and it looks most positive so far. Will work towards more original doodles and music.

Comments