Gig Review: Indie March at Counter Culture – Day1

I really needed to get my head out of my office, and the evening at Counter Culture that boasted of 5 popular Indie rock bands doing the circuit was just what the doctor ordered. 

The evening begun with Space Behind the Yellow Room. I really enjoyed their set. This is the second time I am seeing them live and there’s a marked improvement in their stage presence. Devasheesh Sharma was extremely animated and kept the crowd riled up. Good work on vocals and drums by Shoumik Biswas, scope for improvement though. Tight act nonetheless.

Space Behind the Yellow Room

Space Behind the Yellow Room

Space Behind the Yellow Room

Space Behind the Yellow Room

The second band for the evening was the ambient/post rock outfit Until We Last. While the crowd enjoyed their set, I’m personally not a fan of the genre. This is the second time I’m seeing the band, I still don’t get it. Think of it like Tom Hanks in Big. So I’ll leave it at that.

Until We Last

Until We Last

Until We Last

Until We Last

Band number three was The F16s from Chennai who were brilliant. Loved the energy, the crowd did too. I had bought their EP Kaleidoscope some time last year and it was enjoyable. This being the first time I am seeing them, their live performance was something else altogether. Hope to see more of these guys.


The F16s

The F16s

The F16s

The F16s

The penultimate act for the evening was Skrat. I’ve said too many good things about this band. And that continues. Skrat was the most energetic act of the evening and had a packed house. If you saw the gig, you’d never have guessed that these guys have been touring for 3 days straight over India. How much more bada** can you get when your drummer (Tapas) breaks the bass pedal. They even had someone drive a motor cycle into the venue. Kudos as always!

Skrat
Skrat

Skrat

Skrat
Skrat

Amrit from Live Banned watches on

Skrat Crew awaits
The closing act was Parvaaz whose EP I really loved. This is the third time I am seeing the band play live and it was a bit of a letdown. With the energy levels set high by the previous act, I was hoping Parvaaz would blow the roof off. Having seen their gig at NH7 Weekender Pune, which was the best of the 3, I had high expectations. The band chose a mellow lounge type set list which didn’t do much for me.

Parvaaz

Parvaaz

Parvaaz

Parvaaz
Before I end the blog I have to say that I can’t believe the ridiculously high rates being charged by Counter Culture for pitiful servings of average food!!! 300 bucks for cheese balls? Seriously? 100 bucks for a bottle of mineral water? 100 bucks for a bottle of 7 Up? Manager fellows at Counter Culture, not cool at all. (PS: Even Blue Frog in Mumbai is less expensive)

Really?
The evening otherwise was fabulous. Skrat and the F16s blew the roof. I’m looking forward to the rest of the Indie March gigs. Hope you enjoyed the pictures.

Comments