The Kolkata Food Diaries - Part 1

For those of you who have been following me on Social Media, would know that I was in Kolkata ( Calcutta for me) for a friend's wedding. While the wedding was the biggest motivation (and the usual optimism about meeting and falling in love with a Bong girl of my dreams... hopeless pointless romantic I am), the other biggest motivation was all the lovely food that the city has to offer. So here are some glimpses into some of the fabulous food that I had.

No trip to Kolkata is complete without belting on some Singara (Bengali-styled samosa) and hot tea for breakfast in the morning. Adding to the deliciousness was the weather that stayed cold and made me want to have more. Which I did. Is three an adequate number of singaras to stop at?



Another dish that I always associate with my love for all food Bengali is luchi. And at the wedding, needless to say, I got my fair share of fresh hot luchi with potato curry. Throw in some boondi ladoo and ladykini, that's breakfast fit for a king.



No Kolkata trip is complete without heading to Flurys. While the place has lost a bit of its charm from when I used to go as a kid, it's still got all the nostalgia. And I found myself in the company of this rather gorgeous lemon tart. My mum wanted me to bring back some, but they didn't have any the day I went. I don't think she was that mad at me even when I scored poor grades.


Another great find, a first for me, was Nolen Gur Kulfi. Nolen Gur Sondesh, is a favourite among all Bengalis and folks who've lived in the city. But a kulfi with that flavour was something else altogether. This beauty was available at the local Balaram Mullick & Radharaman Mullick sweet store which happened to be less than a few minutes from where I was staying. Needless to say, I would have one every time I passed the store.


More in part 2...

Comments